LNC Roving Team
TUGUEGARAO CITY- The Regional Trial Court Branch 3 in this city has extended the temporary restraining order for 20 days, putting credence into its “valid reason” amid claims that the distribution of pandemic assistance by the provincial government officials is being indirectly used as a bait to attract votes in Cagayan.
Judge Marivic Cacatian-Beltran of the Regional Trial Court-Branch 3 on May 5 had extended an earlier temporary restraining order for 20 more days while a preliminary injunction is being heard.
It could be recalled that lawyer Victorio Casauay has filed a complaint before the local court, which had sought to stop the distribution of funds under the No Barangay Left Behind (NBLB) and Oplan Tulong sa Barangay Program of the provincial government as these are allegedly being used as leeway for indirect vote-buying.
He had earlier filed an injunction with very urgent ex-parte application for the issuance of a temporary restraining order and/or preliminary injunction.
He cited COMELEC Resolution 10747 which prohibits release, disbursement, and expenditures using government funds for and during the campaign period.
He also cited cash advances of P550-million to be used for the said programs. He had urged local law enforcers and election officials to arrest and indict government officials violating the said resolution.
The fund, he said, is being used indirectly to “buy votes” for the provincial administration candidates. Governor Manuel Mamba, however, denied any irregularity in the release of funds as this has been declared exempt by the Commission on Elections.#